National Register of Historic Places

Osceola County has nine sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Osceola County Courthouse

The Osceola County Courthouse was completed on May 6, 1890, for approximately $25,000, and is possibly the oldest courthouse in Florida to be used continuously for county governmental purposes. This Romanesque Revival brick structure is indicative of many courthouses built in the United States during the late 19thcentury. It is made of Georgia hand-burned pressed facing brick with flush joints of red mortar. Court cases are still heard in the refurbished courtrooms upstairs. Listed on National Register: 1977.

Tucker/Ivey House

Colonial Estate (Tucker/Ivey House)

This Classic Revival style colonial estate in Kissimmee was built about 1915 by J. Wade Tucker, a Georgia lumber baron, and served as his residence. On Feb. 22, 1928, the family home was opened as the Colonial Inn and Club, a first class tourist hotel featuring a nine-hole golf course and café. It was a popular spot in the 1920s and early 1930s for ladies’ tea parties and as a gathering place for local civic and social club meetings. Lester and Hilda Ivey bought the house in the 1930s and lived there the remainder of their lives. The back of the house is located on Orange Blossom Trail, but the best view is the front as seen from Old Dixie Highway. Descendants of the Ivey family still own the house; this is a private residence but can be viewed from the street. Listed on National Register: 1994.

June 15, 2023 update:

Desert Inn, Yeehaw Junction

The Desert Inn

Wilson’s Corner gas station began about 1932 at the crossroads of two highways in Yeehaw Junction; the two-story structure also accommodated boarders upstairs. With a series of owners over the years, it eventually became known as the Desert Inn and a motel was added behind the main building. In its early years, the property was a trading post for cattlemen and those working in the nearby logging and turpentine camps. In more recent times, the Desert Inn was a popular rest stop for people traveling to the beach. The property was left to the Osceola County Historical Society in 2015 to restore and preserve. Note: On Dec. 22, 2019, a tractor trailer hit the Desert Inn, severely damaging the building. Osceola History is working to assess the safety of the structure and no decision has been made about the future of the building. Listed on National Register: 1994

First United Methodist Church, Kissimmee

First United Methodist Church

The First United Methodist Church, constructed in 1913, is a two-story, brick Gothic Revival style building on Church Street in Kissimmee. Stained glass windows on both sides and the rear of the church provide natural interior lighting for the grand chapel and bell tower. The church is still in use by the Methodist congregation. Listed on National Register: 1994.

GAR Hall, St Cloud

Grand Army of the Republic Hall

The Grand Army of the Republic Hall in St. Cloud was built in 1914 with funds raised by the L.L. Mitchell Post #34 of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR). The brick two-story rectangular structure was built as a memorial to veterans who served in the Union Army during the Civil War and was a gathering place for veterans and the community. A theater with raised stage and orchestra pit afforded an opportunity for performances to be enjoyed; a large meeting room was upstairs. The GAR Hall is privately owned and closed to the public. Listed on National Register: 1997.

Broadway, Kissimmee

Kissimmee Historic District

Almost 70 acres comprise the Kissimmee Historic District, which includes commercial, residential and governmental dating from 1889 to 1940. The Historic District is Osceola County’s only listing that encompasses a large group of historic buildings. The 41-block district is roughly outlined by Altman Street, Monument Avenue, Penfield Street and Randolph Avenue. The streets of Kissimmee have gone from a wild Cowtown with cattle drives down Broadway to a booming array of unique shops and restaurants. You can still see the cattle drive down Broadway each spring. Listed on National Register: 1994.

Holy Redeemer Catholic Church, Kssimmee

Holy Redeemer Catholic Church

In the late 1890s, a priest would come to Kissimmee three times a year and conduct mass at various locations and stay with the Dunne family. When the Dunne family moved, the Anthony Tress family was the only Catholic family in town, so the priest began staying with them and holding mass in their sitting room. By 1910, the Tress sitting room became too small, so mass was held in the local theater on Saturday nights after the picture show was over. Soon a plan was developed to construct a new chapel for the growing congregation in Kissimmee. On June 30, 1912, the first mass was said in the newly-built Holy Redeemer Catholic Church. There were no pews or electricity during the first services; folding chairs were brought in for the congregation. The brick Gothic-style church cost $7,000 to build and is located on Sproule Avenue. It was sold in 1972 to neighboring First United Methodist Church and is used occasionally. Listed on National Register: 1994.

Monument of States, Kissimmee

Monument of States

The Monument of States in Kissimmee was the idea of Dr. Charles Bressler-Pettis as a way to pay tribute to winter tourists who came to the area from other states. Work on the monument began in September 1941. The 50-foot monument, located near Lake Tohopekaliga, is made of more than 1,500 stones, donated from all 48 states, governors of 45 states, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and 21 foreign countries. Bags of concrete and labor were also donated. Atop the monument is a three-foot concrete sphere, a concrete American Bald Eagle with a six-foot wing span and the American flag. The monument was dedicated on March 28, 1943. Contrary to popular belief, Dr. Pettis’s ashes are not buried in the base of the monument; his wife chose to have them interred in his hometown of Grant, Missouri. Listed on National Register: 2015.

St Cloud train depot dedication 1925

St. Cloud Depot

The Atlantic Coast Railroad passenger depot opened in St. Cloud in May 1918 with a parade, speeches, a dance and flag presentation. The rectangular Prairie Style brick building retains its original flooring although the interior has been modified over the years. Currently in use by the VFW, the structure still reflects its historic appearance. Listed on National Register: 2018.