Tucker/Ivey Estate update
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1994
This is an update of a post in Osceola History’s National Register of Historic Places blog post.
This Classic Revival style colonial estate in Kissimmee was built about 1915 by J. Wade Tucker, a Georgia lumber baron, and served as his residence. On Feb. 22, 1928, the family home was opened as the Colonial Inn and Club, a first class tourist hotel featuring a nine-hole golf course and café. It was a popular spot in the 1920s and early 1930s for ladies’ tea parties and as a gathering place for local civic and social club meetings. The 13,721-square foot house features four bedrooms, six bathrooms and a brick fireplace.
Lester and Hilda Ivey bought the house in the 1930s and lived there the remainder of their lives. Descendants of the Ivey family owned the home until 2020 when it was sold to a developer.
The back of the house is located on Orange Blossom Trail, but the best view is the front as seen from Old Dixie Highway.
This historic home now sits in the middle of a construction zone with piles of dirt from newly dug retention ponds surrounding it. This house, as an historic site, cannot be demolished, so the developers are currently pulling permits for necessary repairs. It’s future use is not yet known.