Osceola History celebrates May as History Month. Throughout May 2020, we are featuring local heritage organizations.
United Daughters of the Confederacy and Daughters of Union Veterans
Lineage societies for daughters of both Confederate and Union veterans were formed for the purpose of not just perpetuating the memory of their ancestors but to assist in Soldier’s Homes and participate in other benevolent works. They continue to work for the protection and preservation of the history of the war and offer scholarships to qualifying descendants.
The United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) was founded in Nashville, Tennessee, on September 10, 1894, by Mrs. Caroline Goodlett and Mrs. Anna Raines. It was originally known as the National Association of the Daughters of the Confederacy.
In October 1910, the Will J. Bryan Chapter #1302 was formed in Kissimmee. It disbanded in 1921 but by 1927, the Essie Petrie Caldwell Chapter #1922 had been chartered. Essie was a charter member of the previous chapter and had attended the inauguration of her personal friend, Jefferson Davis.
Ten years ago, the Osceola Confederate Dames Chapter #2684 UDC was chartered with 19 members. Current projects include collecting and donating items for distribution to troops overseas, school supplies to teachers and donating food items to St. Cloud Cares.
On December 12, 1885, The National Alliance of the Daughters of Veterans of the United States of America was incorporated. In 1925, the name changed to Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War (DUV). St. Cloud’s first tent, the Mother Bickerdyke Tent No. 1, was formed on March 5, 1915. It is believed to have continued until 1961.
Louisa May Alcott Tent 11 in St. Cloud was chartered in 2012. They support Wreaths Across America, place a wreath at the traveling Vietnam Wall each year and support veterans’ homes.
Written by Anza Bast.
Sources: “UDC Handbook”; “Early Years of the Florida Division UDC 1896-1921”, Anza Bast; “St. Cloud News Golden Jubilee Edition” December 3, 1959; “Orlando Sentinel” March 25, 2010; http://duvcw.org/