Featured bio: Ann Whitewolf (1924-2008)
Ann Whitewolf was named for her great-grandmother Cynthia Ann Parker and had reason to be proud of her Native American ancestry. Ann was the granddaughter of Quanah Parker, the last chief of the Comanches.
The Parker family, originally from Illinois, founded Fort Parker in the Texas frontier in the 1830s. In 1838, nine-year-old, Cynthia Ann and her brother John were taken by Indians during a raid on the fort. Cynthia Ann was raised by the Comanches and given the name Naudah; John’s fate is unknown.
Cynthia Ann became the wife of Chief Nocona. They had three children; one son was Quanah Parker. While out picking berries in 1860 with her daughter Prairie Flower, blue-eyed Cynthia Ann was spotted by Texas Rangers. Both were taken to Fort Parker. Three times she tried to run away and three times she was returned.
Quanah searched for the mother who’d been taken from him when he was only ten. Years later after becoming chief of the Comanches, he finally located the graves of his mother and sister, who had died shortly after being taken to Fort Parker by the Texas Rangers. Quanah had their remains moved back to Oklahoma and buried near the town of Lawton, Oklahoma.
One of Quanah’s wives, Maheheet-To-Wook-Ky Parker, was Ann’s grandmother. Their son, White attended seminary school in Phoenix, Arizona, and became a Methodist minister; later he returned to Oklahoma to minister to the Comanche, Kiowa, Creek and Ponca tribes. White married Laura Clark, daughter of a Methodist missionary. Ann was born on December 21, 1924, in the Kiowa Indian Hospital in Lawton and was the youngest of their four children.
Ann Parker married Edwin Whitewolf in Lawton and moved to Kissimmee in 1957, only intending to stay a few months. Kissimmee became their home, and Edwin found work as a roofing contractor while Ann worked for Cody Publications for 12 years. Ann later worked in the traffic department at the Osceola County Courthouse. Edwin passed away in March 1979; Ann on June 17, 2008. Both are buried in Highland Cemetery, in Lawton, Oklahoma.
Sources: Ancestry.com; “The Orlando Sentinel” issues 1992 – 2008