Rising from the Ashes

When the ten-year-old wooden Osceola High School burned to the ground on July 7, 1908; the headlines read “Pride of Osceola Is Laid In Ashes”.  A committee of citizens was immediately appointed by the School Board to secure plans for the erection of a new school building.  Cooper Contracting Company of Fitzgerald, Georgia was awarded the contract for $17,500 to construct the three-story structure using sand lime brick. 

Posted in Around Osceola, Around Osceola County, City of Kissimmee, Educational, History, Kissimmee, Osceola County, Osceola County History, Osceola History, Oscoela County Historical Society | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Rising from the Ashes

Intercession City Bible College

Built in 1924-1925, the Interocean Hotel located on Highway 17-92 seven miles south of Kissimmee, Florida; sat empty the year following completion.

It stood vacant for almost ten years until Miss Ossie England, a former teacher from Ohio and affiliated with The Household of Faith, took it over about 1934, opening it as a Bible training school for ministers and missionaries. The town name changed from Interocean City to Intercession City with residents lending moral and financial support to the institution.

Posted in Around Osceola, Around Osceola County, City of Kissimmee, Educational, History, Kissimmee, Osceola County, Osceola County History, Osceola History | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off on Intercession City Bible College

Earth-Covered School

Imagine transporting a student from the 1890’s schoolhouse at Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek to a heavily populated area in Osceola County, Florida in 1980; where wild turkeys and bobcats once roamed.    What they would see would be startling.  An earth-covered school, the design borrowed from Southwest American Indian tribes; was being built to save energy.  Referred to as “The dirt school, Groundhog or Eskimo Elementary”, the name chosen was ”Reedy Creek Elementary”.

Posted in Around Osceola, Around Osceola County, City of Kissimmee, Educational, History, Kissimmee, Osceola County, Osceola County History, Osceola History, Oscoela County Historical Society | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off on Earth-Covered School

Where was Neallo?

One of the official actions at the first School Board meeting on August 29, 1887 was to name and number the schools.  # 5 was Shiloh, #7 Cross Prairie, #11 Neallo and #13 was Lakeview, to name a few.  There were a total of twenty-one with #22, Merry Winter, added the following month.  The salary for teachers assigned between ten and fifteen students was set at $20 a month; classes above fifteen students would result in $1.50 per student per month additional payment.

Posted in Around Osceola, City of Kissimmee, City of St. Cloud, Educational, Kissimmee, Osceola County, Osceola County History, Osceola History, Oscoela County Historical Society, Pioneer Village, Samuel Lincoln Lupfer,, St. Cloud, The Pioneer Village | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Where was Neallo?

Cow Capital Roundup

Under the supervision of the Rodeo Association of America, the Cow Capital Roundup came to Kissimmee and attracted over 35,000 spectators to the ten day event.  Opening on February 12, 1940, two busloads of North Carolina Mayors, the Governor of Florida, State dignitaries and tourists from across the United States came to witness the event.

Posted in Osceola County | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Cow Capital Roundup
History is Happening!
Loading...