$3 Children 4-12 years old
2491 Babb Rd. Kissimmee FL 34746
Call 407-396-8644 x1 for tour availability (subject to change)
Come anytime between 10AM - 4PM for a self guided tour. Information panels and maps are available on-site
The Pioneer Village is comprised of a permanent collection of authentic structures which once upon a time stood in different areas of Osceola County. They were carefully relocated to our present location and gently preserved to demonstrate how life was once lived before our modern times.
Come walk our grounds and stroll through history at the Pioneer Village!
The Caretaker’s House from the Partin Family is a great addition to the Osceola County Historical Society. Henry O. Partin made history in Osceola County by introducing Brahman cattle to the cattle industry in Florida. This structure was originally located on Partin’s ranch and served as a Caretaker’s House. Early research shows it may have been built in 1932. Although this makes the structure “newer” than the rest of the Pioneer Village buildings, it was still part of Osceola County history. This structure will be the first building you walk through with our gift shop located inside.
By crafting horseshoes, nails, tools and other items, the blacksmith provided a variety of services vital for a community's existence and growth. Local Boy Scouts used an original plan form the 1800's to build our shop, which includes a full working forge and authentic tools.
Built in 1889 by the Lanier family, prominent ranchers in Osceola County. The Cracker House, an early-American form of architecture, is defined by the center breezeway which creates a natural air conditioner for the home. Included with the house are a wash house, smokehouse, and gardens-- all essential to homesteader life in the 1800's.
The Tyson family represent yet another variety of Osceola County settler. This family worked hard as farmers, but had far less expendable income. The one-room house is an original structure from Osceola County, and allows OCHS to tell the story of an average farming family in the late 1800s. This family had 11 children, and at one point 11 members of the family lived in the single-room dwelling.
When the Cadman’s arrived in New York by ship in 1888 on their way to Florida, they became part of a larger trend: investors – many of them wealthy – attracted to Florida by promises of natural bounty and beauty, temperate climate, and commercial opportunity. For the Cadmans, the enticement came by way of family patriarch, Lt. Col. William Edwin Cadman’s younger brother, John Heaton Cadman, Esq., who was involved in a Florida land development project.
Known today as the Seminole and Miccosukee Indians, the Seminoles trace their history to hundreds of tribes in the Maskoki linguistic family living in what is now the Southeastern United States. Spanish explorers and eventually the U.S. Government battled the Seminole tribes for land, culminating in the Seminole Wars of the early 1800s. At the end of the third war in 1858, a few hundred Seminoles remained in isolated areas of Florida, and the government abandoned efforts to relocate them.
Adjacent to Shingle Creek, this 7.8 acre preserve represents a piece of Osceola County as it was in the time of Florida's original Native American tribes and early pioneers. The vegetation growing here provided the early inhabitants materials needed for dyes, clothing, medicine and other necessities.