THE FOLLOWING ARTICLES WERE PRESENTED AT THE
NARCOOSSEE CHAPTER MONTHLY MEETING:
SOME HISTORY OF THE TYSON FAMILY IN NARCOOSSEE
Presented at the August 2015 meeting. (Click here to read more.)
SUBJECT IS THE RUNNYMEDE HOTEL, 1885 - 1940 (Click here to read more.)
FROM THE ST. CLOUD TRIBUNE OF MAY 29, 1924 (Click here to read more.)
Presented at the November 2015 meeting.
FRANCIS PATRICK MCMULLEN 1940 - 2015 (Click here to read more.)
Presented at the January 2015 meeting.
THE CATTLE INDUSTRY OF OSCEOLA COUNTY FLORIDA
(Click here to read more.) Presented at the April 2016 meeting.
P.A. VANS AGNEW HELPS NELSON FELL DEVELOP FLORIDA, RUSSIA
(Click here to read more.) Presented at the May 2016 meeting.
BRICK ROADS IN FLORIDA
(Click here to read more.) Presented at the August 2016 meeting.
HISTORY IS HAPPENING IN NARCOOSSEE, FLORIDA!
Did You Know?
- English colonies at Narcoossee and Runnymede preceded the establishment of the City of St. Cloud.
- Many of the early Englishmen who settled here did so to "find their own way" because family estates and inheritances were already pledged to their older siblings. Investments were made in sugar cane, orange groves, and harvesting pine sap for turpentine.
- Runnymede was named after the English location where, in 1215, feudal barons forced King John to grant civil and political liberties in the famous document, the Magna Carta.
- The Narcoossee schoolhouse circa 1886 is older than Osceola County which was established in 1887.
- One of our English settlers, Rev. George W. Garrett, invented the world's first mechanically propelled submarine in England.