General History of Osceola County: Fun Facts

 

 

 On May 6, 1890 the Osceola County Courthouse opened its doors. It is currently the State of Florida’s oldest courthouse in daily use.Osceola County Courthouse

Makinson Hardware in downtown Kissimmee, founded in 1884, is the oldest hardware store in the state.Makinson Hardware Store

The Silver Spurs Rodeo, now the largest east of the Mississippi River, started in 1943, when the riding club members built their rodeo arena on land donated by Henry O. Partin.Silver Spurs Rodeo

According to a Kissimmee Gazette article, dated May 17, 1957, the Grissom Funeral Home began painting their ambulances a San Marquis Blue color around 1928. They did this so their clientele would be able to distinguish between funeral coaches and the ambulances. The color is now known throughout the state as the Grissom color.Grissom Funeral Home

The Monument of States was built by local tourism booster, Dr. Charles Bressler-Pettis. The monument contains 1,500 stones including meteors, stalagmites, petrified wood, teeth and bones.Monument of States

M Bryant in the early 1920s cleared a few acres for a campground near the swamp on Old Tampa Highway west of Shingle Creek. Bryant decided to leave the oak trees and opened Bryant’s Auto Camp. He offered campers a shady site, a store, a filling (gas) station and well water.Bryant Camp

In 1881, Hamilton Disston paid $1 million for 4 million acres of land in Florida. He drained much of the swamps and dredged a river highway from Lake Tohopekaliga to Fort Myers.

The first hotel was the Lake House at Kissimmee’s Bryan and Orlando streets, built in the 1880s when Kissimmee was home to a thriving shipyard that built steamboats.Lake House

 

 

History is Happening!
Loading...