Where was Neallo?

One of the official actions at the first School Board meeting on August 29, 1887 was to name and number the schools.  # 5 was Shiloh, #7 Cross Prairie, #11 Neallo and #13 was Lakeview, to name a few.  There were a total of twenty-one with #22, Merry Winter, added the following month.  The salary for teachers assigned between ten and fifteen students was set at $20 a month; classes above fifteen students would result in $1.50 per student per month additional payment.

Joseph Tripp Burbank

In 1915, at the age of seventy-seven, Joseph Tripp Burbank was known as the “Champion Combination Drummer of the World” according to the St. Cloud Tribune.  Born in Bradford County, Pennsylvania on October 12, 1836, J.T., as he was later known, was one of nine children born to Jacob and Sophia Burbank.

Downtown St. Cloud Fire of 1917

Between twelve and one o’clock on the night of July 28, 1917, fire broke out in the W.A. Drawdy store room on Pennsylvania Avenue in St. Cloud, Florida.  The fire swept down both sides of Pennsylvania Avenue, affecting eighteen businesses before it was brought under control. 

100 years ago in Osceola County: History Repeats Itself

An interesting parallel between 1917 and 2017 was found in an April 12, 1917, “St. Cloud Tribune” news article which states,“Mr. H.A. Haymaker of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania purchased the entire block situated between the Atlantic Coast Line depot and the Bank.” The property was unoccupied and used only as a park for a number of years. The article continues, “Mr. Haymaker’s plans involve the erection of a building to cover the entire block, from three to five stories in height, the lower floors to be reserved for stores and business houses, while the upper floors will be finished up in either apartments or for hotel purposes.”

The Church of St. Luke and St. Peter

Narcoossee, Florida was established in 1884, and comprised of English immigrants. By 1887, the settlers of Narcoossee began to meet for worship services. Depending on the weather, some of the meeting would be held outdoors, otherwise if there was a chance of rain the meeting would be relocated in someone’s home. Eventually there was talk of building an Episcopal church and fundraising efforts began. The majority of the money was raised locally and some of the funds came from England for the completion of the church in 1897.

History is Happening!
Loading...