Veterans Clock Tower

The pride of St. Cloud, Florida; in 1925, was the clock attached to the People’s Bank Building located at the corner of Tenth Street and New York Avenue.  The clock first chimed on Monday, July 20, 1925, striking various musical combinations arranged for each quarter hour.  When the bank failed in 1928, the St. Cloud City Commission voted to purchase the clock, offering $250.00 – the amount to be absorbed in taxes owed.

Rising from the Ashes

When the ten-year-old wooden Osceola High School burned to the ground on July 7, 1908; the headlines read “Pride of Osceola Is Laid In Ashes”.  A committee of citizens was immediately appointed by the School Board to secure plans for the erection of a new school building.  Cooper Contracting Company of Fitzgerald, Georgia was awarded the contract for $17,500 to construct the three-story structure using sand lime brick. 

Intercession City Bible College

Built in 1924-1925, the Interocean Hotel located on Highway 17-92 seven miles south of Kissimmee, Florida; sat empty the year following completion.

It stood vacant for almost ten years until Miss Ossie England, a former teacher from Ohio and affiliated with The Household of Faith, took it over about 1934, opening it as a Bible training school for ministers and missionaries. The town name changed from Interocean City to Intercession City with residents lending moral and financial support to the institution.

Shake Rag School

It was slightly different in design but dating to the same 1890s time period as the replica schoolhouse at the Pioneer Village and two stories have emerged regarding how the school got its name.  Miss Emma Yowell, one of the early teachers refers to it as “Shaker Rag” and stated in a 1940 newspaper interview that it was later known as “Pine Grove” in a 1940 newspaper.

Earth-Covered School

Imagine transporting a student from the 1890’s schoolhouse at Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek to a heavily populated area in Osceola County, Florida in 1980; where wild turkeys and bobcats once roamed.    What they would see would be startling.  An earth-covered school, the design borrowed from Southwest American Indian tribes; was being built to save energy.  Referred to as “The dirt school, Groundhog or Eskimo Elementary”, the name chosen was ”Reedy Creek Elementary”.

History is Happening!
Loading...