Cattle has always been an important part of the history of Kissimmee. The streets of downtown Kissimmee were once grass where cattle roamed freely and grazed; effectively providing a mowing service. There is even a well-known story about a cow finding its way into the Kissimmee courthouse! It is only fitting that today we celebrate this history with a cattle drive that begins on the lawn of the courthouse and continues into downtown Kissimmee. This exciting event is the kickoff for the RAM National Circuit Finals Rodeo at Osceola County’s Silver Spurs Rodeo.
An interesting parallel between 1917 and 2017 was found in an April 12, 1917, “St. Cloud Tribune” news article which states,“Mr. H.A. Haymaker of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania purchased the entire block situated between the Atlantic Coast Line depot and the Bank.” The property was unoccupied and used only as a park for a number of years. The article continues, “Mr. Haymaker’s plans involve the erection of a building to cover the entire block, from three to five stories in height, the lower floors to be reserved for stores and business houses, while the upper floors will be finished up in either apartments or for hotel purposes.”
A large hotel was erected about 1885 west of Narcoossee on the shores of East Lake Tohopekaliga and near Lake Runnymede. Although it is not clear who had it built, a 1912 newspaper article claims it was built by the Disston Sugar Company. John L. Hill owned the hotel and property, then sold it to the Runnymede Planting Company in 1892.
History is Happening!
Osceola County Historical Society
4155 W. Vine Street · Kissimmee, FL 34741
Pioneer Village 2491 Babb Rd. · Kissimmee Fl 34746
Osceola County Welcome Center and History Museum 4155 W. Vine Street · Kissimmee, FL 34741
Research Center 750 N Bass Rd · Kissimmee, FL 34746